- Published on Friday, 10 March 2017 12:49
- Hits: 318
MFM FC head to Enyimba International's adopted home ground in Calabar for a Matchday 13 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) fixture on a confident form that has the Church side enjoying the superior status of being in the top half of the table while the former champions find themselves outside of the top-10.
It will be their third meeting since the Olukoya Boys joined the league of top campaigners last season and head coach, Fidelis Ilechukwu is upbeat that they can match the seventh time champions and leave Calabar with a result.
Previous meetings between MFM FC and Aba-based club have all ended in draws but Ilechukwu believes that his side are now ripe to contest for the maximum points at stake in the weekend fixture.
"We want to sustain our fine form against Enyimba because we have not lost against them in more than five meetings both in pre-season and competitive NPFL fixtures.
"We played a goalless draw last season and we want to build on that. But in as much as I understand that they have had managerial changes while some players have also left, Enyimba still have sufficient quality players. However, we are having a better season and would want to maintain our status against Enyimba," said Ilechukwu.
His bust of run to celebrate Sikiru Olatunbosun's award winning goal against champions, Rangers International remains the sub-plot of the goal clip that went viral and Ilechukwu would seek another opportunity to display the animated emotions that coaches globally are bringing as additional drama to football. He also is happy with the evolution in the NPFL that has provided level playing fields for all teams, away or home and says he is counting on this to seek all three points from the Peoples Elephant.
"The LMC has done so much in the NPFL such that there's no more home, no more away advantages to count on as anybody can win anywhere, draw and lose anywhere. As it stands now anything can happen and this is football. I believe we have a strong team that can match Enyimba so I believe we can beat them in their home," he told the club's website.
The modest Lagos-based team currently sit on fifth spot on the NPFL standings with 19 points from 10 league matches while Enyimba dropped from 9th to 14th after crashing to a 3-1 defeat in Kano to rivals, Kano Pillars.
MAIL THIS PAGE
NPFL 2015/2016 Season's Report
Photo Gallery : Football Action
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 23 March 2017The League Management Company (LMC) has shifted focus to ensuring strict compliance with safety...Read more
- Created Date: 15 March 2017The League Management Company (LMC) in partnership with over the counter securities market...Read more
- Created Date: 06 March 2017Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Youth team Coaches attending a clinic in Abuja has...Read more
- Created Date: 24 February 2017•Offers salary advance to players•Players apologise for breach of procedure Following reports of...Read more
- Created Date: 23 February 2017New dates have been scheduled for the postponed fixtures of Matchdays 8 and 9 involving Nigeria...Read more
- Created Date: 26 March 2017By Clement Nwankpa A Katsina United versus Rangers game was always going to revolve around the...Read more