- Published on Sunday, 02 April 2017 21:24
- Hits: 192
By Toyin Ibitoye
Red hot Sunday Adetunji scored two late goals, one of them from the penalty spot, to help his team, Abia Warriors beat ABS Ilorin FC 2-0 in a tension soaked NPFL match day 17 clash in Umuahia.
After a scoreless first half, Adetunji smashed home a cross from substitute Sheriff Bashir with 10 minutes left on the clock and converted a penalty kick, four minutes later, to snatch victory for his team in the very tough encounter.
The victory was befitting reward for the Warriors' ceaseless attack from the start of the game, to finish.
Immediately, referee Dominic Ibhagbemen(Edo State) signaled the commencement of proceedings, the intent was clear. The home team was set up to attack and possibly get an early goal while the visitors stayed very compact in midfield and very organized in defense.
Tried as they did, Abia Warriors, through Adetunji, Uche Ihuarualam, Kalu Nweke, Yakub Hammed and Anthony Okemirin found it difficult to breach the back line of the visitors with Governor Ernest, Ibrahim Omolayo, Chinedu Ajanah, Ebuka Anaekwe and Emmanuel Ugbo holding firm.
On some occasions that the visitors' backline gave way, goalkeeper Suleiman Dogo was there to the rescue.
In the second half, the introduction of Nigeria Olympic team star Ndifreke Effiong for Uche ihuarualam, injected some urgency into the home team's attack as they became more dangerous in the final third.
Shedrack Asiegbu and Sheriff Bashir were also introduced for Yakub Hammed and the injured Chinedu Ozor.
For ABS ilorin FC, Mohammed Mohammed and Adeshina Gata replaced Bassey Effiom and Abubakar Chindo.
It was however Bashir, who proved to be the most effective substitute in the game as he chased a loose ball to the byline and pulled out a lovely cross for Adetunji to smash home on the 80th minute.
He was also responsible for the home team's second goal, four minutes later. He made a dashing run into the box and went down under the challenge of Chinedu Ajanah, resulting in a penalty.
Man of the Match Adetunji slotted home from the spot to make victory certain for his team, sending the home fans into widespread jubilation.
NPFL 2015/2016 Season's Report
Photo Gallery : Football Action
Auo Saka chalenges Anthony Okputu
Ayo Saka against Okaka of Sunshine
Eduwo against Nojim Raji
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 23 March 2017The League Management Company (LMC) has shifted focus to ensuring strict compliance with safety...Read more
- Created Date: 15 March 2017The League Management Company (LMC) in partnership with over the counter securities market...Read more
- Created Date: 30 April 2017Adamu Hassan’s diligently–placed 16th minute shot, off a brilliant pass from Thomas Zenke, won...Read more
- Created Date: 23 April 2017By Osondu Ngwude One of Rangers International new-signings Ifeanyi George played a central figure in...Read more