By Fisayo Dairo
Rivers United booked a place in the quarterfinals of the NPFL Under-15 Promises tournament after an emphatic 3-0 drubbing of Enyimba at the Owerri centre on Thursday.
United were without their four-goal hero Kenneth Clinton but winger Nathan Collins rose for the team, grabbing an impressive hattrick to lead his team en route to success. After a cagey start to the game, Collins scored twice in three minutes to take his team out of sight of the Baby Elephants from Aba.
He got his first on 16 minutes when he followed up his initial effort clumsily handled by Enyimba goalkeeper Chimezie Ndukwe before adding a second two minutes later after some lethargic defending by the young Enyimba defence.
Enyimba tried in vain to reduce the deficit in the first half and were dealt a further blow six minutes into the second when Collins completed his hattrick by heading home an inswinging corner kick by full back Joseph Wakama.
Collins' treble was the second to be recorded at the Owerri centre (after Elisha Jonah's opening day hattrick) and the Nembe, Bayelsa born player was grateful for helping his team with the goals.
"I am very happy for the goals and I give thanks to the Almighty because it is not by my power," Collins spiritually declared.
"I am happy to give my team the goals as you can see our Number 9 (Clinton) was not dear today," added the right footed left-winger whose footballing idol is Barcelona super-star Neymar.
Having all but sealed qualification for the quarter finals, the Junior Secondary School 3 student of Entorial High School, Borokiri, Port Harcourt told www.npfl.ng that his team will not fail the region at the finals.
"I am sure we will do well in Lagos. I have good understanding with my teammates and that will help us against any team we face," concluded Collins who has the immediate ambition of playing for former African champions Enyimba.
The centre's other big game between Akwa United and FC Ifeanyiubah was called off with eight minutes of regulation time left to be played and Ifeanyiubah leading 2-1 due to poor visibility occasioned by bad weather.
Midfielder Japhet Bilya beat a badly set offside trap to put Ifeanyiubah in the lead on 26 minutes but the effervescent Uwana Akpan equalized for United five minutes after the restart.
The tempo of the game dramatically rose in the second half as both teams went for the kill and it was Bilya that scored again after some brilliant work by captain Nansel Bussa.
The goal came on 72 minutes and it became evident the visibility of players, officials and fans have been affected by the weather, prompting the match officials to call the game off. The remaining eight minutes will be played on Friday at 8am.
Friday's schedule in the tournament will still go ahead in the afternoon when Abia Warriors and Enyimba jostle for their first points in the competition in what is expected to be a cracking Abia Classico at 2pm before Owerri centre comes to a grandstand finale when Rivers United take on FC Ifeanyiubah.
NPFL CLUB NEWS
- Created Date: 11 December 2017Hist: 546Opening day of the 2017 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Pre-season Invitational in Kano recorded drawn matches in the two fixtures that held on Monday. In the opening game, league champions, Plateau United of Jos forced 10-man Enyimba International FC of Aba to a 1-1 draw and it was same scoreline between league runners-up, MFM FC and AITEO Cup holders, Always United in the game played under floodlights at the Sani Abacha Stadium.Read moreCreated Date: 10 December 2017Hist: 391By George Akpayen The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational kicks off at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano on Monday and it will provide the six teams competing with the chance to have one final chance at oiling their machines before the competitive season begins in January. NPFL champions Plateau United, last season's runners-up MFM FC, seven-time champions Enyimba and currently AITEO Cup holders Akwa United will be joined by hosts and four-time champions Kano Pillars and the...Read moreCreated Date: 10 December 2017Hist: 432By Ayodele Olu Ibidapo Captain of Enyimba, Mfon Udoh, believes the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational will be a solid test for his team, while also insisting they are in the competition to win it. Udoh said that the tournament would provide an avenue for the team to fine-tune preparations for the upcoming new season.Read moreCreated Date: 09 December 2017Hist: 427The home–based Super Eagles contingent arrived the ancient city of Kano on Saturday afternoon as head coach Salisu Yusuf and his crew countenance the beginning of preparations for the 5th African Nations Championship (CHAN) scheduled for Morocco between 13th January and 4th February 2018. Yusuf, also chief coach of the Russia-bound A squad, has called up 30 players for the first phase of the preparations, in which the 2014 CHAN bronze medallists would test strength with the nation’s leading...Read moreCreated Date: 09 December 2017Hist: 679By George Akpayen Best of the best managers will pace up and down the sidelines of the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano when the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational kicks off on Monday. Two of the head coaches Kennedy Boboye of Plateau United and Salisu Yusuf who will manage the Super Eagles bound for next year's African Nations Championship (CHAN) have won the title. Add to that mix of trophy winners is Abdu Maikaba who led Akwa United to win the AITEO Cup this year. The...Read moreCreated Date: 06 December 2017Hist: 550By Osondu Ngude Nana Bonsu is delighted with the arrival of two new keepers Femi Thomas and James Aiyeyemi at Rangers International of Enugu and has challenged the duo to work to bring out their best for the club. Bonsu, a regular squad member in the Rangers fairy tale run in the title success of the 2015/16 season, was bogged down by injuries last term picking a handful of first team appearances.Read moreCreated Date: 06 December 2017Hist: 509By Andrew Randa The 2017 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational which will hold in Kano from 11-17 December is already generating a buzz all over the country as fans of the league salivate a return to the field of their favourite teams and stars. This time out, six teams will be involved in the tournament that serves as the official dress rehearsal for the incoming season proper. Reigning champions Plateau United, Aiteo Cup winners Akwa United will join Lagos side Mountain...Read moreCreated Date: 05 December 2017Hist: 629Akwa United midfielder Kelly Kester is eager to make a mark at his new club, starting with the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Pre-Season Invitational tournament in Kano. Kester joined United from neighbours Enyimba and the combative midfielder is hoping to make an instant impression with the Promise Keepers as they prepare for what promises to be a busy season ahead.Read more
- Created Date: 05 December 2017Hist: 418By Clement Nwankpa Jr The fight for first team goalkeeper in the camp of former champions, Enyimba International promises to be a matter of interest at the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Pre-season Invitational which kicks off at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano from Monday, December 11.Read moreCreated Date: 02 December 2017Hist: 651By Andrew Randa Plateau United will seek to do well at this year's Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational in Kano this December to prove that their 2016/17 title win was no fluke. The Jos side surprised many followers of the league by clinching a first-ever NPFL title with Kennedy Boboye’s men leading the table in all but four weeks of the campaign to show how dominant they were over the course of the season.Read moreCreated Date: 01 December 2017Hist: 427Defender Ifeanyi Anaemena in his fourth season with Enyimba and a second chance to play continental club football believes the return of Paul Aigbogun to manage the squad is a big boost. Aigbogun, it was who guided the team to a group stage exit in the 2016 CAF Champions League before exiting the Peoples Elephant at the end of that season.Read moreCreated Date: 30 November 2017Hist: 549Akwa United and Super Eagles midfielder Ifeanyi Ifeanyi is looking forward to a fruitful NPFL Pre-season Invitational Tournament when the competition gets underway in Kano on December 11. Ifeanyi is an indispensable member of both his club Akwa United and the home-based Super Eagles led by Salisu Yusuf. The midfielder in a chat to npfl.ng underscores the importance of the tournament to the Super Eagles side preparing to take on the rest of Africa at the African Nations Championships in...Read moreCreated Date: 27 November 2017Hist: 953Akwa United head coach Abdu Maikaba is braced for life without a handful of some of his top stars when the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season kicks off on 14 January. Maikaba knows a handful of his players could get the attention of national selectors for the African Nations Championship (CHAN) billed to hold in Morocco between 12 January and 4 February next year.Read moreCreated Date: 26 November 2017Hist: 681By Clement Nwankpa Jr Ocheme Edoh's 26th minute strike was all El-Kanemi Warriors needed to beat Abia Warriors 1-0 in a pre-season friendly at Umuahia Township Stadium. Here are five takeaways from the thrilling encounterRead moreCreated Date: 26 November 2017Hist: 452For the second time in four editions, the NPFL Invitational Tournament will be having six teams in attendance - the customary four continental representatives joined by hosts Kano Pillars and a the national team that will represent Nigeria at the Africa Nations Championship (CHAN). Though there will be a change in format from the 2015 edition which was a round robin tournament, the competitiveness and aim of the competition should still remain the same if words of an experienced campaigner,...Read moreCreated Date: 24 November 2017Hist: 1407By Clement Nwankpa Jr Chelsea coach, Antonio Conte made playing back three the new fad in England and as other English Premier League coaches are now cloning the formation, Abia Warriors recently-signed Brazilian coach, Rafael Everton plans to bring it to the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) when the new season kicks off in January. This much was revealed from the team's training sessions monitored by npfl.ng in Umuahia.Read more
- Created Date: 24 November 2017Hist: 502Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Chairman, Shehu Dikko was among the heads of 27 professional football leagues of the world that attended the Annual Meeting of the World Leagues Forum (WLF) hosted by Major League Soccer in New York City on Wednesday, November 22. The WLF is the world association of professional football leagues and includes 32 Leagues from around the World. Its purpose is to improve governance structures in world football, address the issues of professional...Read moreCreated Date: 20 November 2017Hist: 454By George Akpayen Ikechukwu Batholomew Ibenegbu has declared that he is looking to keep up from last season by continuing his goalscoring act from dead-ball situations when the 2017-18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season gets underway on 14 January 2018. Last campaign, Ibenegbu, nicknamed Mosquito, was one of 27 players who scored direct free kicks and two out of the three free kicks he scored helped his club Enyimba to finish in the top-three which secured them a place in next...Read moreCreated Date: 16 November 2017Hist: 2098•Pre-season invitational holds in Kano, Dec 11-17 •Club Licensing documentation ends January 5 •Season ends September 30 Activities to kick-start the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) season which began with the on-going club licensing will enter the next stage with the annual NPFL Pre-season tournament from December 11-17, 2017 to usher in the grand season opening matches on January 14, 2018. The schedule of the new season’s activities which has been endorsed by the League...Read moreCreated Date: 15 November 2017Hist: 749By Clement Nwankpa Jr The future of the beautiful game is in the youth. Every nation that aspires to excel in international football must evolve a system that ensures regular supply of fresh talents. Nigeria has won the U-17 World Championship a record five times. Ironically, this has not reflected in the nation's performances at the World Cup. This has led to a clamour for a more institutionalised process that guarantees a regular supply of quality young talents.Read moreCreated Date: 09 November 2017Hist: 636By George Akpayen Nyima Nwagua has told npfl.ng that he has that feeling of inspiring optimism that his club Kano Pillars can throw their hat in the ring for the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the AITEO Cup titles in the coming season. The striker joined Kano Pillars in the mid-season transfer window of last season from another NPFL side Lobi Stars and at that time, the former league champions finished in 14th place with 24 points, 11 behind leaders Plateau United, after 19...Read moreCreated Date: 04 November 2017Hist: 635By Joshua Tekidek Wikki Tourists have began preparation in earnest for the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) after a disappointing performance in the last campaign. The fortunes of the club on the playing pitch nosedived following the departure of Abdu Maikaba who joined Akwa United at the start of last season's campaign as head coach having led them to top-four places in 2016 and 2015.Read moreCreated Date: 02 November 2017Hist: 918Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Plateau United are on the verge of signing striker Tosin Omoyele from Osun United while Enyimba are hopeful of landing Nasarawa United duo of Abdulrahman Bashir and Olayinka Onaolapo. Plateau United have made an official bid for Osun United's top scorer in the second tier, the Nigeria National League (NNL) last season and look close to winning the race to sign the forward.Read moreCreated Date: 01 November 2017Hist: 562By Osondu Ngwude Former Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Rangers International on Wednesday unveiled Gbenga Ogunbote as their head coach for the coming season. The club also appointed former Rangers and Sharks striker Davidson Owumi as their general manager with Festus Onu as chairman.Read more
- Created Date: 01 November 2017Hist: 596Seven-time Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) winners Enyimba are inching closer to sealing a move for Gombe United forward Austine Oladapo. However their city rivals Abia Warriors have taken their scouting to the amateur ranks in a bid to pluck talented midfielder Solomon Obubu from Delta-based outfit Sunsel FC.Read moreCreated Date: 31 October 2017Hist: 2514Rangers International will soon be floated on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), an official of the Administrative Commission of Inquiry on Rangers confirmed on Tuesday. Based on the submissions made by the commission, the Enugu State Government will likely divest its shares and stakes in Rangers soon. About two months ago the state government had set up the Administrative Commission of Inquiry, which had been looking into the club’s activities.Read moreCreated Date: 27 October 2017Hist: 1620President of Nigeria Football Federation, Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick on Friday congratulated NFF 2nd Vice President/LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko, after he was named a Member of the FIFA Football Stakeholders Committee. FIFA ratified the appointment of Dikko at its Council meeting held Friday, 27th October 2017 in Calcutta, India.Read moreCreated Date: 27 October 2017Hist: 545By Andrew Randa Plateau United skipper Elisha Golbe was recently honoured at Federal College of Education Pankshin, Plateau State for his outstanding contribution to sports in Pankshin Local Government and Plateau State in general. Golbe who is an alumnus of the institution led Plateau United to a first-ever Nigeria Professional Football League title and has been making appearances and giving motivational speeches at various grass-root competitions in Pankshin and other...Read moreCreated Date: 26 October 2017Hist: 736Defender of relegated Abubakar Bukola Saraki (ABS) FC, Ernest Governor is one the targets of former champions, Enyimba International as they look to strengthen their squad ahead of the 2017/18 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) and the 2018 CAF Confederation Cup. The Aba side have lodged a transfer request with the NPFL FIFA Domestic Transfer Matching System for the player and his teammate, Mohammed Aman Mohammed.Read moreCreated Date: 26 October 2017Hist: 615By Osondu Ngwude After missing out in all of last season's games in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), Rangers International striker Ifeanyi Egwim has declared himself fit for the coming season. The player who last played for his team on the last day of the 2015/16 season has revealed that he has recovered fully and now feels he is in good shape to make a return.Read moreCreated Date: 25 October 2017Hist: 811Plateau United have put in a bid for five players including FC Ifeanyiubah’s King Osanga and Rangers duo of Charles Henlong and Orji Okagbue Kalu. This is as Ammeh Wilfred has handed in a request to leave Niger Tornadoes to a yet to be named club.Read moreCreated Date: 22 October 2017Hist: 664By George Akpayen Akwa United captain Otobong Effiong has set his sight on a successful outing in next year's CAF Confederation Cup. Effiong and his teammates had to endure a gruelling contest from Niger Tornadoes last Sunday to clinch the AITEO Cup that meant they qualified to represent Nigeria in the CAF Confederation Cup in 2018.Read more
- Created Date: 19 October 2017Hist: 536By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes captain and goalkeeper Mustapha Salihu Aliko feels his team were unfortunate to miss out on the opportunity of winning the AITEO Cup against Akwa United at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on Sunday. Aliko despite keeping a clean sheet in open for his club was distraught when npfl.ng caught up with him.Read moreCreated Date: 17 October 2017Hist: 762By Uchenna Iyoke After being handed the role of head coach/technical adviser at Kano Pillars on a permanent basis following a mid-table finish in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) last season, Ibrahim Musa is confident of building a successful tenure. Kadiri Ikhana and Mohammed Baba Ganaru are already cult heroes with Kano Pillars faithful and Musa who has been in the background since 1996 with different coaches at the club now feels he can build on previous achievements of the club...Read moreCreated Date: 15 October 2017Hist: 719By George Akpayen Akwa United have won this year's AITEO Cup following their 3-2 win over Niger Tornadoes at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on Sunday night. The Promise Keepers were tagged favourites to lift the Cup by pundits who believe they play the most beautiful brand of football in the country.Read moreCreated Date: 14 October 2017Hist: 794By George Akpayen Akwa United and Niger Tornadoes will go toe to toe for the third time this season but when they meet on Sunday, it will be one of the most important games for them this season as they aim to win the AITEO Cup. Their previous meetings this season have been in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) over two games. When they first met in March this year, Tornadoes won 1-0 through Ifeanyi Okoye's goal from the spot kick and at that time, Abdu Maikaba was still...Read moreCreated Date: 14 October 2017Hist: 431By George Akpayen Akwa United head coach Abdu Maikaba has spoken of how dangerous their opponents Niger Tornadoes could be when the two Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs meet in Sunday's AITEO Cup final at the Agege Stadium in Lagos. Maikaba explained that Niger Tornadoes should be considered "a very dangerous and strong opposition" after they dispatched the Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah and NPFL champions Plateau United in the semi-finals and...Read moreCreated Date: 12 October 2017Hist: 890•With Over N1 billion jackpot AfroMillionsLotto, the Nigerian Professional Football League’s (NPFL) exciting new lotto, goes live TODAY – allowing people to buy their online tickets for the first big jackpot draw, which will take place on Wednesday 18th October. Starting at N1 billion, the www.afromillionslotto.com twice-weekly draw features bigger jackpots than all the lotteries in Nigeria combined. What’s more, it will also be the largest jackpot on offer anywhere in Africa. And if the...Read moreCreated Date: 06 October 2017Hist: 847By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes will play in the final of this year’s AITEO Cup after edging Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah on 4-3 aggregate despite suffering a one-nil defeat in Nnewi in the second leg, semi-finals on Thursday. Godwin Obaje scored the winner of the game on the day for FC Ifeanyiubah which proved insufficient at the end. FC Ifeanyiubah needed two goals in the all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-final clash to reach back-to-back final but Tornadoes made it...Read moreCreated Date: 05 October 2017Hist: 333By Joshua Tekidek El-Kanemi Warriors FC on Wednesday announced that Ladan Bosso would not be returning as the club manager when the new Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) resumes. Bosso joined the Maiduguri-based outfit in the 2014/15 season when they played away from home in Kano and Katsina as a result of the heightened activity of Boko Haram insurgents that ravaged most of Borno State. The club finished sixth on the log last season, an improvement from their 8th position in his...Read more
- Created Date: 02 October 2017Hist: 1034By Andrew Randa “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” - Jennifer Smith This is akin to what Samuel and Faith Agba’s love story is all about as different mosaics of the good, the weird and the incredible all came together to form a beautiful love fresco. She looked extremely happy as she danced her way towards the huge white cake that was placed in front of a pew decorated like folding arms. It was her big day, she had every...Read moreCreated Date: 30 September 2017Hist: 1076By George Akpayen Sunshine Stars and Niger Tornadoes gave themselves good headstarts in their bid to reach the final of the Aiteo Cup this year with victories in the first leg matches of the semi-final matches on Saturday. In all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-finals, Sunshine Stars edged Akwa United 1-0 at the Dipo Dina Stadium in Ijebu-Ode while Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah blew a two-goal lead to lose 2-4 to Tornadoes at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja.Read moreCreated Date: 30 September 2017Hist: 549By George Akpayen It will be an all Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) semi-finals in the Aiteo Cup as four sides holders FC Ifeanyiubah, Akwa United, Niger Tornadoes and Sunshine Stars take part in first leg games on Saturday. FC Ifeanyiubah will play on the road in the first leg at the Confluence Stadium in Lokoja against Niger Tornadoes who are aiming for a second Cup title while Sunshine Stars also looking to win their first major silverware in the country play hosts to 2015...Read moreCreated Date: 28 September 2017Hist: 657By George Akpayen Enyimba captain Mfon Udoh has opened up that the Peoples Elephant had "a tough season" despite finishing in third place in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). The Enyimba man explained that playing away from their Aba stadium "was not easy" though they enjoyed the backing of their host community in Calabar where they made the UJ Esuene Stadium their home ground for the entire league campaign.Read moreCreated Date: 28 September 2017Hist: 933A non-governmental organisation (NGO), Medicaid Cancer Foundation on Tuesday has enlisted the support of the League Management Company (LMC) in their campaign to eliminate cancer and assist patients. Founder of Medicaid and wife of Kebbi State governor, Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu, said during a courtesy visit to the LMC office in Abuja that Medicaid is soliciting technical assistance from the league body to organize a charity tournament to raise awareness for the fight against cancer. She and...Read moreCreated Date: 27 September 2017Hist: 756By George Akpayen Niger Tornadoes striker Samuel Agba will this Saturday be joined in holy matrimony with his heartthrob Faith Anastasia in Kaduna. Agba who was born and bred in the city of Kaduna explained that he believes that this is the right time “to settle down” and “tie the knot.” He also revealed that he met his fiancee just when he began his professional career while still with Jigawa Golden Stars.Read moreCreated Date: 25 September 2017Hist: 571Players and officials of the Super Eagles squad to the just ended West African Football Union (WAFU) Cup of Nations in Ghana has received commendation from the League Management Company (LMC) which urged them to build on the lessons learnt from the sub-continental championship for the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN). The players were drawn from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) organized by the LMC.Read moreCreated Date: 23 September 2017Hist: 1254By George Akpayen Aiteo Cup holders FC Ifeanyiubah and Sunshine Stars have booked their places in the last four of the competition after victories in Saturday's quarter-final games. FC Ifeanyiubah showed that their three-goal advantage from the first meeting of the last eight against ABS FC who have been relegated from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) was no fluke. This time playing at the Kwara stadium in Ilorin, home of ABS, the Anambra Warriors claimed a 1-0 win to make it...Read more
- Created Date: 23 September 2017Hist: 737By Mitchell Obi Only a fingerful of duels can match this any day and anytime. Instant flow of adrenaline from the players and the fans. Call it the dream contest...Ghana versus Nigeria part two. This is the game that the continent wants to watch even if it is a regional final. Tinged with revenge and wrapped with the eternal rivalry of two soccer powers this Sunday's final promises a tide and how it will flow depends on the wind of confidence bellowing in either team.Read moreCreated Date: 21 September 2017Hist: 611By George Akpayen Kano Pillars playmaker Rabiu Ali scored the winner for Nigeria as they edged Benin Republic 1-0 in the first semifinals of the 2017 Wafu Cup of Nations at the Cape Coast Stadium in Ghana on Thursday. The Nigerians took the lead in the 11th minute of the contest through Ali after Anthony Okpotu played him through on goal.Read more
NPFL MATCHDAY 38
NPFL League Table
Photo Gallery : Football Action
LMC News Update
- Created Date: 10 December 2017By George Akpayen The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Invitational kicks off at the Sani Abacha...Read more